Gravity Die Casting
MRT are specialists in gravity die casting, with one of the most advanced manufacturing facilities in the UK foundry industry. MRT has optimised the productivity of its gravity die casting processes, shortening lead times, and resulting in lower costs.
Gravity Die Casting employs cast iron or steel moulds which allow aluminium and zinc castings to be produced more accurately and cheaply than with sand casting. Tooling costs of gravity casting are a fraction of those needed for pressure die casting. The rapid chilling gives excellent mechanical properties whilst non-turbulent filling ensures production of heat treatable gravity castings with minimal porosity.
MRT have a range of microprocessor controlled hydraulic gravity die casting machines, which mechanise movements of the die, increasing production rates, and improving consistency. The machines offer tilt pouring, and hydraulic movement on up to four axes. MRT also have facilities for producing sand cores to cast complex internal shapes.
The advantages of gravity die casting over sand castings include a better surface finish, and better mechanical properties, which occur due to the relatively faster cooling rates that occur in gravity die casting.
- Gravity Die Castings up to 5 kilos in all suitable Aluminium & Zinc Alloys
- Principal Aluminium Alloys: LM5, LM6, LM9, LM16, LM24, LM25, LM27 & LM31
- Principal Zinc Alloys: ZA3, ZA8, ZA12 & ZA27
- MRT supplies castings to all standard heat treatment specifications
- 4 AGM Automated Gravity Diecasting Machines - Featuring Microprocessor Controls, Tilt Pouring, and Hydraulic Movement on up to 4 axes
- CNC Automated Fettling - Koyama CNC Automatic Fettling Cell for robotic saw-off and trimming
- In-House Toolroom - Ensuring your tooling is regularly maintained, and problems can be remedied quickly to minimise disruption to production
The player supports TAB to change the controls. Update Required<br/>To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your <a href='http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/' target='_blank'>Flash plugin</a>.
Comprehensive set-up records and quality data ensure consistent production and reduce gravity die casting set-up times.
Quality is achieved by pride in workmanship, backed up by an excellent quality system to ISO9001:2008. Everyone at MRT is committed to quality. For critical components, MRT can provide X-ray, dye penetrant and pressure testing.
Routine tool maintenance, breakdowns and modifications can all be undertaken in-house to reduce tool down time.
TOOL & CASTING DESIGN
Our expertise can help you optimise designs, eliminating elements which add unnecessary costs to your gravity die casting. Thus we provide the benefits of automated production of aluminium or zinc die casting without high-cost tooling. Innovative press trimming tool design can also help to reduce finishing costs. Where required, we can also provide filling and solidification simulations using the latest computer technology.
MRT Castings - in 5 minutes!
Find out more information about MRT Castings and get a taste of our facilities.
Check out out virtual tour and find out how we can work with you on your next project.
HOW can MRT Castings help you?
- a complete solution
- to develop a new component from initial concept
- advice on what processes are best suited to my component
- prototypes before committing to production tooling
- to re-shore production to the UK from overseas
- a new supplier to use existing tooling
- to convert a machined from solid part to a casting
- a supplier who can meet stringent quality requirements
New at MRT
31st May 2018
Around 6 months ago, we took a hard look at how we use the data we have available to us at MRT Castings. We looked at everything from data being used by machines, data being created by machines all the way through to where data is being left on the cutting room floor and where data can potentially be corrupted or lost through human error.Read More
2nd Jan 2018
MRT Castings is excited to announce that we will be supporting the 2018 Year of Engineering initiative. The Year of Engineering is a year-long government campaign to support the engineering profession in recruiting the next generation of engineers.Read More