Heat Treatment of Aluminium Alloys
Most aluminium castings are used in the 'as cast' condition, but there are certain applications that require higher mechanical properties, or different properties from the as cast material. The heat treatment of aluminium castings is carried out to change the properties of the as cast alloys by subjecting the casting to a thermal cycle or series of thermal cycles. For sand castings and gravity die castings all heat treatments are possible, though not all are standardised. Pressure die castings however, cannot generally be heat treated.
The following are the suffixes used in the UK to indicate the heat treatment condition of BS1490 Aluminium Alloys:
- M As cast
- TS Thermally stress relieved, annealed
- TB Solution heat treated and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition
- TB7 Solution heat treated and stabilised
- TE Artificially aged
- TF Solution heat treated and artificially aged
- TF7 Solution heat treated, artificially aged and stabilised
The following alloys may be heat treated, but their properties are not standardised in the heat treated condition shown: LM12, LM21, LM27-TF & LM30-TF.
The following alloys are standardised in the heat treated conditions indicated: LM4-TF, LM9-TE, LM9-TF, LM13-TE, LM 13-TF, LM13- TF7, LM16-TB, LM16-TF, LM22-TB, LM25-TE, LM25-TB7, LM25-TF, LM26-TE, LM28-TE, LM28-TF, LM29-TE, LM29-TF, LM30-TS.
LM31 is a naturally ageing material, which may also be artificially aged.
Heat Treatment of Zinc Alloys
Zinc alloys are not generally heat-treated, but annealing of ZA27 alloy considerably improves ductility.
HOW can MRT Castings help you?
- Select what you need
- a complete solution
- to develop a new component from initial concept
- advice on what processes are best suited to my component
- prototypes before committing to production tooling
- to re-shore production to the UK from overseas
- a new supplier to use existing tooling
- to convert a machined from solid part to a casting
- a supplier who can meet stringent quality requirements
New at MRT Blogs
Make UK crowned MRT the winner of the prestigious accolade.Read More
23rd Oct 2020
MRT Castings have been honoured at a major regional manufacturing awards ceremony.Read More